Daniel Greg, my sponsor for Apple Universe, is the maker of BitClamp. We have decided to make a speicial deal with Apple Universe listeners to get a 20% off discount of the retail price of BitClamp!
Here is the code: APPLEUNIVERSE
Type that in when buying to get your 20% off discount at BitClamp! Thanks Daniel!
As my quest continues to find sponsorships, I have reached another deal with Daniel Greg from Crimson Sky Software, makers of BitClamp!
Please check out BitClamp, and you will see more to come on Apple Universe!
As you all know, I said 2 blog posts ago that there is a Apple Universe contest coming up! Well, today during the recording, I talked about the contest. Now I am going to blog about it.
shinywhitebox, the maker of iShowU, is a sponsor of Apple Universe. Neil from shinywhitebox has agreed to give me 2 serial numbers to iShowU. So now it is contest time.
Here is what you have to do:
Make a less then 5 minute video telling me, Daniel, why you need and/or want iShowU, the best video capturing software! If you can, upload that video to YouTube, and if you can’t, either way, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the link to the YouTube video or the video as an attachment. I will watch every video that I get.
I wish everyone the best of luck, and let the best video win!
Host and Producer, Apple Universe
I recently had Alan Levy, CEO of BlogTalkRadio on Apple Universe to talk about the service. I was searching the web, and I found this neat post. Here it is:
“Daniel Brusilovsky, host of the Apple Universe podcast, welcomed BlogTalkRadio CEO Alan Levy to his program for a chat about BlogTalkRadio.
Apple Universe is a podcast hosted by Mr. Brusilovsky, who also hosts Tech Today, Web Review and is an almost-BlogTalkRadio host. He is an Apple computer enthusiast and a very bright individual.
So you may be surprised to hear that he is also a sophomore in High School, plays in the Jazz and Wind Ensembles, and is the Co-President of the technology club, Mousesquad.
Apple Universe Episode #83 “Blog, Talk and Radio!” features Daniel grilling Alan on the BlogTalkRadio platform. Tune in for details. Daniel is a tech, web and Apple guru and is racking up quite a collection of guests on his podcast. Check out his blog and his Apple Universe podcast for more.”
Thanks Alan for being on Apple Universe!
Hey Apple Universe Listeners,Its been a while since I last did a blog post about Apple Universe, but I have some great news! As you know, one of my sponsors, shinywhitebox, has graciously agreed to give 2 licences to iShowU. Here is some info about iShowU:
For you, the user
- Simple – iShowU is designed specifically to be easy to use. If you don’t want to customize anything, it’ll work straight out of the tin. All you have to do is hit ‘Record’ and you’ll have a nice little video on your desktop in no time.
- Universal Binary – Native speed, no matter what Mac you own.
- Records any audio – iShowU can record both from a microphone source (so that you can call the action), and also from the standard system output* of your Mac. One click is all it takes.
- User specified capture size – The user can easily specify the size of the video to be captured, using an intuitive ‘see through’ video preview. Just drag the corners around to specify the size, and hit enter.
- Pause / Resume – When recording you’re free to pause and then resume the capture at any time. Great if the phone rings half way through your work.
- Fixed or follow mouse modes – Sometimes you’ll want the capture rectangle (think of it as a movie camera that tracks your mouse) to follow the mouse, and other times, you’ll want to capture just one area of the screen. iShowU can do both.
- Mouse Capture – You can choose to capture mouse movement during your video. Unlike other capture systems, the mouse is recorded in a separate high resolution video track (that takes almost zero memory), so even if you’re only capturing half a frame a second, mouse movement is liquid smooth. If you want to record a movie for playback on something other than QuickTime, iShowU can record the mouse per-frame as well.
- Presets – Create as many different settings as you like, for different types of recording. This allows you to quickly switch between different recording modes with a single click.
- Leopard – iShowU already works with it
- As visible as you want – or not – You have full control over whether iShowU has an icon in the dock, automatically hides itself when you begin recording and whether or not it shows up in the status bar. Make it visible so you can see recording status, or hide it completely. Up to you.
Want control over your video capture? – try these
- Capture scaling – When capturing, you can downsize the video to 75 or 50% of it’s original size.
- Support for key/non-keyframes – iShowU can encode using I/B/P frames – meaning that captured movies are much smaller (note: only some codecs, H264 in particular support this).
- Self tuning capture performance – iShowU monitors it’s own capture performance. If the effective capture throughput is lower than expected (for example, due to the choice of encoder or system load), it will automatically lower the capture rate so that it doesn’t consume graphics resources if the encoder cannot keep up. It will also increase the capture rate if more system resources are available.
- User defined audio/video quality – While internet connections are getting faster, it’s still going to take a while to transfer a 5GB movie to your Mum. iShowU compresses audio using AAC, and video using whatever method you think it appropriate (it defaults to H264). In addition, you can specify the quality of the video to your liking.
- Choose your video format – If it’s supported by quicktime, it’s supported by iShowU. Realtime H.264 compression struggling a bit on the G4? Use Apple Anumation. iShowU lets you choose what works for you.
- Custom frame rates – When there’s not much going on (i.e: you’re not moving the mouse, just speaking) iShowU will capture at a lesser frame rate. When you start moving the mouse around (and the capture rectangle follows it) then it’ll use a faster frame rate so that the motion looks smooth. Saves on bandwidth too!
- Multiple screen support – Works with any screen configuration, and automatically reconfigures itself on the fly – even if you change the screen configuration while recording.
As you can see, iShowU is jam packed with really cool features! On Apple Universe Episode #82, Ben Higginbotham and I talked about iShowU for about 10 minutes! Check out the episode here: LINK.Thank you Neil from shinywhitebox for this opportunity. I will announce the contest on Apple Universe #85!
I am very pleased to announce that Apple Universe has 2 new sponsors!
The first sponsor is a sponsor that has been familiar to Apple Universe before. GoToMeeting will be coming back for another 6 months with Apple Universe!
Also, shinywhitebox will be sponsoring Apple Universe until January 6th, 2008. shinywhitebox is a software company that makes great software like iShowU and Stomp!
Thank you Tech Podcast Network and Neil Clayton for this great opportunity!
Host and Producer, Apple Universe
I really am sorry that I haven’t been updating my blog as much as I really wanted to. Well, its Sunday night, 11:45 PM, and I have my PowerBook G4 on my lap, and I am writing a blog post…this is the life!Now I understand why Robert Scoble does this a lot 🙂
I have done a lot with Apple Universe lately. I have done a lot of interviews including Cali Lewis, John C. Dvorak, Alan Levy, and regular news episodes. Please check out the podcast either on the web, or on the iTunes Store. If you do want to find Apple Universe on the iTunes Store, type in Apple Universe with Daniel Brusilovsky, and it should come up!Thanks again for all the support! I really do appreciate it!
In other news, Apple Universe has 2 new sponsors! I will do a blog post about the new sponsors tonight!
Technorati Tags: Apple Universe
With the coming of changes on my blog, the first will be a separate “blog” section in the Apple Universe tab on the right. The home page will will be here: Apple Universe on Daniel’s Blog. These changes will be coming in the next few days…..
No, I am not back from being offline, but I had to tell people that my podcast episode with Leo Laporte is out!
Here is where it can be found: Apple Universe with Leo Laporte!
Hope you enjoy it!
If you recently viewed the Apple Universe website, you might notice that I have released Apple Universe #66! But where is #65? That interview was with Viral Kadakia from Zimbra. Yahoo! recently bought Zimbra, so all media has to go through Yahoo! I still have not gotten a response from either Zimbra or Yahoo! on permission to release the episode. I will keep you updated!